February 18, 2008

Posted by jinson on 2:53 PM No comments
Another recipe I enjoyed making. I discovered this recipe while reading through a food blog called My Kitchen Snippets and had a major craving. Drove all the way to Grand Rapids on Saturday afternoon just to buy the banana leaves. Man, I remember whenever I need pandan leaves or banana leaves, I pigi behind my mommy's house and ambil. Now, I pay $1 plus tax and gas...huhuhu...sedihnya... Anywho, without further a due...

Recipe: Pulut Panggang
~Adapted: My Kitchen Snippets

Things you need...


  • 2 cups of sweet rice or glutinous rice (soak for about 3 hours)
  • 3 cups of coconut milk
  • 1 cup of dried shrimp
  • 3 shallots
  • 2 garlic
  • 2 thai chilies (add more if you like it spicy)
  • 1/2 tbsp of salt
  • 2 or 3 tbsp of shredded coconut
  • banana leaves
  • oil for cooking

Step 1:
While waiting for the rice, blend or ground your shallots, garlic and chilies. Do the same with your shrimp. Heat your pan and fry all the ingredients starting with the mixture of shallots, garlic and chilies, adding in the shrimp next and the shredded coconut last. Then set aside. This is your simple shrimp filling.


Step 2:
Clean your rice thoroughly and add in the coconut milk and salt. Cook on medium to low heat until done. Set aside and let it cool.

Step 3:
Now the fun part. Cut your banana leaves into your desired size. Spread the rice on the banana leaf and add the shrimp filling. Along with the banana leaf, roll your rice over your filling and secure both sides with toothpicks. It's like wrapping a present.

Step 4:
On a flat pan or grill, whatever you have on hand, grill your pulut until the banana leaf becomes slightly charred or really charred. The way I like it. Serve while hot.
Enjoy....

Categories: ,

0 comments: